Google Chromecast ($35) allows you to stream media content wirelessly from Google Chrome web browser or supported apps (Android/iOS) to your TV.
Currently, there are only a handful of Chromecast-enabled apps because Chromecast software development kit (SDK) is by Google invitation only.
Here are all the Chromecast apps available in 2013:
- Netflix – watch thousands TV shows and movies.
- HBO GO – HBO shows, movies, comedy, sports, and documentaries.
- Hulu Plus – watch hit TV shows and movies using your Hulu Plus subscription.
- Pandora – your personalized online radio
- YouTube – the great time waster with user uploaded videos. (OK)
- Google Play Movies & TV – Google version of online movies and TV shows.
- Google Play Music – Google version of online music store.
- VEVO – watch music videos from Universal Music Group and Sony Music Entertainment.
- Red Bull.TV – watch sports, music and lifestyle entertainment TV online. (OK)
- Songza – listen to online music curated by music experts.
- Plex – personal media player system. Use Plex Player app to manage and play video, photos, music, and podcasts from a local or remote computer running Plex Media Server. (OK Asia) Personal media
- PostTV – The Washington Post TV (OK Asia)
- Viki – Watch on-demand streaming video of TV shows, movies and music videos (mostly Asia) with community translated subtitles (150+ languages).
- RealPlayer Cloud (personal media)– Watch your personal video collection on TV, smartphones, and tablets
- Revision 3 – Watch online shows in gaming, tech, entertainment, news, comedy, magic, science & more.
- BeyondPod – RSS feed reader and podcast manager for Android
- Avia (personal media) – access music, videos and photos from social media sites, home network and device.
Regretfully, most of the online services are not available in Asia. Among the list, only YouTube, Red Bull.TV, PostTV, Viki are playable in Asia. Personal media content app like Plex, RealPlayer Cloud, BeyondPod and Avia do not have such limitation though.
More apps will support Chromecast once Google release SDK to public. Visit http://chromecast.com/apps to stay up-to-date.
About Google Chromecast
Google Chromecast is a small USB flash drive size digital media player released in July 2013. It allows you to stream audio/video content to your TV from Internet, phone, tablet or computer via WiFi connection and use your mobile device as a remote control.
The media is streamed by Chromecast, thus allowing you to do other tasks while streaming without interrupt media playback on TV.
Chromecast is only USD$35. It is Amazon No.1 best selling electronic.
ReadWrite recommend Chromecast for:
“Budget shoppers, users who need no-frills desktop casting for presentations, and people who often watch media on their mobile devices and want to resume on their TVs (and vice versa)”.
I don’t watch local TV programs and do not subscribe to satellite TV. My HDTV is only used for playing Blu-ray movies and stream media from iPad using Apple Digital AV adapter (HDMI).
Chromecast will allow me to stream media to my TV wirelessly, plus remote control the playback. No more stand up to pause the video player!
My Chromecast is on its way from Amazon.com as my 2013 Christmas gift. It is cheap!
Do you own a Chromecast? How do you like it?