Google Labs (China) announced the Google PinYin Input Method(谷歌 拼音输入法) for all Chinese users. Google PinYin Input Method is a free download for Windows users. Although Windows XP and Vista have built-in Chinese input method from Microsoft, Google PinYin Input Method has some unique features:
- Smart sentence building – Google PinYin Input Method builds sentences for you, reduce the time to choose the correct words.
- Popular words – Powered by Google database, Google PinYin Input Method automatically updates the latest buzz words in Internet.
- Sync – You can sync your input habit and personalized words with Google account and apply it on other computer.
- One-click search – It is Google. You can search any word directly from the Google PinYin Input Method toolbar
- English input – Google PinYin Input Method gives English words suggestion when you type english characters. No need to switch input method.
Q: How to switch to English mode? A: Press Shift keyboard shortcut.
My two cents
I do not know other Chinese input other than PinYin. It was a pain to build a sentence word by word, and switching between Chinese input and English input. The smart sentences building and English input are very useful features. Oh, another great tool from Google! :)
- "Chinese Primer, Volumes 1-3 (Pinyin): Revised Edition" (Ta-tuan Ch’en, Perry Link, Yih-jian Tai, Hai-tao Tang) listing at Amazon.com
- "Introduction to Standard Chinese Pinyin System (1 Textbook + 1 Workbook + 2 CDs)" (Ed. by Helen H. Shen) listing at Amazon.com
- "English Chinese Pinyin Dictionary" (Qian Suwen) listing at Amazon.com