Apple iOS 5.1 for iDevices (iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch) fixes battery life problem, supports Japanese Siri, allows you to delete Photo Stream images, adds new swipe shortcut for Camera app on Lock Screen, and more. Read on to learn about the new features and how to download iOS 5.1.
Table of Contents
Fix battery life problem
Since iOS 5.0, users were experiencing poor battery life problem with their iDevices. Apple released iOS 5.0.1 update but it didn’t fix the problem. iOS 5.1 will fix the annoying problem.
Delete photos in Photo Stream
Photo Stream is an iCloud feature that auto sync your photos across all your iOS devices and Macs. It’s a cool feature but you can’t delete photo in Photo Stream. iOS 5.1 fixes that.
Speak Japanese? Now you can chat with Siri. With the addition of Japanese, Siri now supports 6 languages: English, British English, Australian English, French, German, and Japanese.
Swipe shortcut for Camera app on Lock Screen
In previous iOS 5.0 versions, you can access Camera app on Lock Screen with 2 steps: 1. double pressing the Home Button. 2. tap on the Camera icon.
Now, Apple has simplified it to only 1 step: swipe up Camera icon on Lock Screen to launch the Camera app.
iOS 5.1 update highlights
Here is a list of iOS 5.1 important updates:
- Japanese language support for Siri (availability may be limited during initial rollout)
- Photos can now be deleted from Photo Stream
- Camera shortcut now always visible on Lock Screen for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)
- Camera face detection now highlights all detected faces
- Redesigned Camera app for iPad
- Genius Mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers
- Audio for TV shows and movies on iPad optimized to sound louder and clearer
- Podcast controls for playback speed and a 30 second rewind for iPad
- Updated AT&T network indicator
- Addresses bugs affecting battery life
- Fixes an issue that occasionally caused audio to drop for outgoing calls
Option to disable 3G is back!
Apple brought back the option to disable 3G network to iOS 5.1 after removing it in previous iOS 5.0. Disabling 3G network will force your iPhone to use EDGE network only, thus save some battery juice.
[Thanks to @jasonmumbles for the tip!]
Download iOS 5.1
You can get the iOS software update directly from your iDevices (Settings > General > Software Update). The download size is 189 MB and WiFi download only.
The full version of iOS 5.1 is 803 MB. You can download it from iTunes or get the direct download link on ios.e-lite.org (recommended)
p>Have you updated your iOS devices to version 5.1? Does it fix battery life problem? Which features you like most?