Nokia Malaysia invited a group of Malaysian tech bloggers for a Nokia Lumia 900 preview session to get hands-on the awards winning Windows Phone smartphone.
I like the Nokia Lumia 900′s size in my palm. The 4.3-inch display is big, bright, and clear. While the design looks almost identical, you will immediately notice the body size different between Lumia 900 vs Lumia 800. Nokia Lumia 900 is significantly bigger than Lumia 800. The display glass is flat, not curved display like Lumia 800′s.
Although using single core processor, Nokia Lumia 900 performance is great. Switching and flipping between background applications was smooth. In fact, I had same great experience with Lumia 800. I think the credit belongs to the optimized Windows Phone operating system.
Besides the famous Nokia Drive (free turn-by-turn navigation app) and Nokia Maps, Nokia also includes few other useful apps:
- Contacts Transfer app to transfer contacts from your existing phones (Symbian, Android, iPhone, etc). This is a handy for user who switch from other phone.
- App Highlights suggests apps based on location and operator. Shake the phone and its “Surprise Me” feature will give you random app recommendation. With App Highlights, you will get a bunch of interesting apps installed onto your new Lumia phone in no time.
Nokia Lumia 900 has a rear camera with 8MP Carl Zeiss optics, dual-LED flash, autofocus, 28mm wide-angle, f2.2…, but Nokia Malaysia instead emphasize on Lumia 900′s 1MP front camera, which is higher resolution than other smartphones’ front camera.
Here is the sample photo (after resize) taken indoor using Nokia Lumia 900 1MP front camera:
Here is 100% crop of the same photo:
Based on the sample photo, the hue (colors) are not accurate, not enough contrast, and high noise. The front camera lens has wider angle (snap more objects in picture) than other smartphone, such as iPhone 4S.
The Windows Phone has won Best Smartphone of CES 2012 awards during the world’s largest consumer technology tradeshow. Here is the specs highlights:
- 4.3-inch 800×480 pixels AMOLED ClearBlack glass touchscreen display
- 8 MP main camera with Carl Zeiss optics, dual LED flash, Auto Focus. 1 MP front camera
- 1.4GHz single core processor
- 16GB storage space (no micro-SD card slot), 25GB SkyDrive cloud storage
- 512MB memory
- Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango) operating system
- 1830mAh battery (up to 8 hours talk time)
Nokia Lumia 900 retail price is MYR 1799 (~USD 565) in Malaysia. Available in Black, White, Cyan. The Nokia Lumia 900 package does not include headsets and rubber bumper case but you will get 25GB SkyDrive cloud storage space from Microsoft and a free Nokia DC-16 portable USB charger (while stock last).
Visit Nokia Lumia 900 official website for more information.