Mother’s Day 2013 is on May 12th. Symantec has observed an increase in spam messages related to Mother’s Day.
The spam emails trick you to take product offers, survey, e-card, gift, etc. After clicking the link in the email, you will automatically redirected to a website with fake offers, where you are asked a few Mother’s Day related questions.
After submitting the survey, the website asks you to enter personal information to receive the gifts or offers.
[box type=”alert”]Do NOT submit your personal information![/box]
Most of the spam emails are sent from .PW top-level-domain (TLD). Here are some of the examples of the email’s From header:
- From: Mother’s Day Gifts <[email protected][REMOVED].pw>
- From: “Early Bird Mother’s Day Flowers” <[email protected][REMOVED].pw>
- From: “Early Bird Mother’s Day Bouquets” <[email protected][REMOVED].pw>
- From: “Mother’s Day Bouquets” <[email protected][REMOVED].pw>
- From: “Mom” <[email protected][REMOVED].pw>
The following are some of the Subject lines used in Mother’s Day spam attacks:
- Subject: Don’t Forget Mother’s Day – $19.99 Chocolate, Dipped Strawberries
- Subject: Stunning Personalized Gifts for Mother’s Day
- Subject: Top Personalized Mother’s Day Gifts
- Subject: Make Mother’s Day Special With A Personalized Gift
- Subject: Mother’s Day Car Deal (Half Off Every Make And Model)
- Subject: Regarding Mothers Day
- Subject: Celebrate Mom with a $19.99 bouquet.
- Subject: Mother’s Day Replica’s Women’s Accessories
- Subject: Mother’s Day Secret Formula.
You are advised to be cautious when receiving unsolicited or unexpected emails.